The Invictus Open Weightlifting Competition – Great Success!
Written by Sage Burgener
I am proud to say that the Invictus Open Weightlifting Competition was a huge success! Gyms from all over Southern California showed up with lifters who were ready to play and lift some heavy weight. Click here to check out photos of the event.
This was my second time “organizing” a weightlifting competition, so needless to say I was learning as I went. With that being said, I have a few shout outs:
- Athletes from Valley Crossfit, Crossfit San Diego, Mission Gorge, Pasadena, Intrepid, Pacific Beach, Chula Vista, Inland Valley, Balboa and North Park (I hope I didn’t forget anyone. If I did SO sorry!), thank you so much for coming out and joining the fun. This event would not have been as exciting without ya’ll! It was so nice to see so many members of the fitness community come out to compete and cheer each other along. Be ready for many more competitions to come, I am expecting to see all of you consistently!
- Athletes from Invictus (Matt M., Shane F., Ben S., Chanel C., Andrea G., Caitlin E., Kim M., Jasmine S., Mason J., Darrell M., Dan T., Jesse M.) I am SO proud of you. It really meant a lot to me that you all stepped up and faced your fears. I know most of you are very new to the sport, but your focus and energy was that of long-time Olympic lifters. I couldn’t be more impressed as your coach and friend. Thank you for making me look good 😉
- Volunteers (loaders, judges, chefs, announcers, camera men, organizers, etc), this event could not have run as smooth as it did without you. Events are great because of all the people on the side doing what they can to make sure they step up when something needs to be done. I was shocked (and absolutely not shocked at the same time) to see how many people were willing to give up their Saturday to help a sister out. Thank you, thank you.
- Jen, I have to give you an individual shout out because you are the reason this meet actually happened. I’ll take credit for coming up with the date of the meet and hand drawing the rough draft of the poster, but you basically did everything else. Thank you for running around making signs, ordering note cards, emailing gyms, marketing the event, and everything else you did that you didn’t even tell me about. You did everything exceptionally well!
- Lastly, the Martin family is da bomb. Karen, your ability to whip together a whole entire barbeque (with the help of Angela M. and Jen) with about one day notice never fails to amaze me. You truly are one remarkable woman. Pops, you were right along side Jen helping organize the event. You’re always there to hold me accountable and keep me in check. Thank you for being so level headed and SMART!
Now to the fun stuff, here are the top 5 lifters from the competition. Congrats to the top female and top male lifters. I love watching heavy weight being thrown around. Ya’ll are so strong!
Results based on Sinclair Formula