Workout of the Day:
Four rounds for time of:
1.5 x Bodyweight Deadlift x 12
400 meter run
The Importance of Breakfast
Written by Michele Vieux
Most people have probably heard the saying, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” But in working with my clients, I regularly hear that breakfast is the meal most often skipped due to lack of time in a busy schedule. Perhaps just as bad, if not worse than skipping breakfast, many people reach for a quick fix breakfast, such as processed cereals, meal replacement bars or massive amounts of coffee to curb their appetites.
Fueling your body with high-quality food is essential to the performance of both your body and brain. Not only does breakfast get your metabolism going for the day, it also fuels your body and brain so that you can concentrate on completing your daily tasks. Most people know this, but healthy eating requires planning and preparation. If you know that breakfast is the most difficult meal for you to make healthy choices, put yourself in a position to do something about it and set up your day for success.
Here is how I plan and prepare for a week’s worth of Zone-friendly breakfasts – the amazing frittata! I usually make one of these on Sunday night and use it for breakfasts throughout the week.
- Preheat oven to broil
- In an oven-proof skillet over medium heat, sauté sliced onions, bell peppers & minced garlic (or any veggies you like) in a teaspoon of oil
- Add 6 ounces of Canadian Bacon or 9 ounces of breakfast sausage (you could use any leftover meat) and cook until warm
- Pour in 12 beaten eggs
- Stir as if scrambling eggs until they are 2/3 of the way set
- Let sit on heat until steam begins to rise from holes in the egg mixture
- Place under broiler until egg starts to brown
- Remove from oven & top with 6 ounces of cheese & place back under broiler to melt
- Use spatula to loosen the sides & bottom of the frittata from the pan and slide onto a plate
- Cut into eight, 3-block portions or six, 4-block portions (portions are mostly protein). This is delicious hot or cold!
- Make the meal Zone-balanced by topping w/ avocado and eating a piece (or two depending on your block requirement) of fruit alongside.