To Do the Open or Not….
Written by Nuno Costa
The 2014 CrossFit Competition Season starts this week! The first stage of the competition is the Open, where one workout will be released each week for five weeks. You may hear your coaches encouraging you to sign up for the Open so that you can test your fitness and compare yourself to everyone else worldwide, but is that enough reason for you to do it? This blog post is not intended for our competitors, but rather for our regular group members.
Here is a short and sweet top 10 list of why I encourage you to sign up for the Open this year.
1. Join the hundreds of thousands of CrossFit participants worldwide in this amazing sporting event. Last year we had 138,000 participants and I guarantee we will have more this year – will it be 250,000?
2. Compare yourself to others in the gym here at Invictus (both locations). Maybe there’s someone you’ve been training with for a while now and we want to see how you compare yourself relative to these five workouts. You can also create a custom leaderboard on the CrossFit Games website, which allows you to filter various data fields – so you can see how you stack up against the other Invictus athletes.
3. Measure where you are on a bigger stage – not only will you be able to see where you rank in Southern California, but you can also see where you rank worldwide!
4. Perhaps you have done the Open the past couple of years and you have set a goal to finish in the top 50% of the participants this year. Each year they’ve repeated a workout, so you can see how you’ve improved in that specific workout.
5. Maybe you just started doing CrossFit in the past 6 months and you have no idea what the Open is and want to just do it because everyone else is doing it.
6. You’ve been to Friday Night Lights at Invictus the past few years and have been inspired by everyone that has participated and want to be a part of it this year too.
7. You have a crush on someone at Invictus and you want to impress them.
8. You are addicted to CrossFit, you can’t get enough of it and this is just another thing that you can do to talk to your friends about, since you can’t have a full conversation about anything else anymore.
9. You drank so much coconut water the past year, have been attending the OLY classes and have been getting better and better at CrossFit recently and can’t wait to show off your fitness.
10. You have all this WOD Gear that you bought in the past year – wrist straps, OLY shoes, knee sleeves, nano’s, headband, gymnastic grips, etc and you gotta put it to good use somehow.
All in all, the Open is going to be a super fun five weeks of competition! It will give you a break from our regular programming and give you some benchmark workouts that you can always go back and re-test at a later date. You may even see them come up in our group classes at some point. It doesn’t matter how competitive you are going to be – just do it for the sake of doing it. You may have to scale some of the workouts – who cares, just do it anyway. You may not do as well as you expect, or you may surprise yourself and do really well, either way it doesn’t matter – just have fun with it. We compete because we can! As adults we lose the opportunities we once had as kids to play. Get signed up and have fun with it this year!
Tomorrow we will discuss how to get signed up on the Games website.